Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A child and pupil of the catechism...

But for myself I [Luther] say this: I am also a doctor and preacher; yes, as a learned and experienced as all the people who have such assumptions and contentment. Yet I act as a child who is being taught the catechism. Every morning--and whenever I have the time--I read and say, word for word, the Ten Commandments, the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, the Psalms, and such. I must still read and study them daily. Yet I cannot master the catechism as I wish. but I must remain a child and pupil of the catechism, and am glad to remain so. (7-8)

God Himself is not ashamed to these these things daily. He knows nothing better to teach. He always keeps teaching the same thing and does not take up anything new or different. All the saints know nothing better or different to learn and cannot finish learning this....Can we finish learning in an hour what God Himself cannot finish teaching? He is engaged in teaching this from the beginning to the end of the world. All prophets, together with all saints, have been busy learning it, have ever remained students, and must continue to be students. (16)

~BOC, LC, LP

No comments:

Post a Comment